Sunday, February 22, 2009

Comet Lulin

Have you heard about this comet? It's supposed to be visible to both hemispheres, visible to the naked eye, and fascinating to watch!

From this page: "Feb. 24th: Closest approach! On this special morning, Lulin will lie just a few degrees from Saturn in the constellation Leo. Saturn is obvious to the unaided eye, and Lulin could be as well. If this doesn't draw you out of bed, nothing will. [sky map]"

I don't know the declination, but my guess is that it is lower than the mountains surrounding Seward to the southwest. I'll try to see it anyway :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen several stories on it, and looked at the NASA pictures on apod, but I'm suspecting I'll just sleep through it in real life.

Marguerita McManus said...

That's the great thing about the computers, even if we sleep in we can still look at all the pics :)

I am more of a night owl than an early bird. If this was going to be visible at 11pm I'd have no problem. Since dawn is still pretty late here, I *might* just make it up in time :)