Saturday, March 14, 2009

Stitch in the Ditch Video Dilema

I started quilting a 90" x 90"quilt on my home sewing machine, and doing a "tutorial documentary" on it. Now I am stuck!

I am a long winded teacher (and writer - you have probably noticed) and YouTube, my host of choice for now, allows 10 minute video length. You would think I could get the basics down into 10 minutes.... but no .......... I yap on too long and personally, I don't like to watch videos (or TV shows) where the speaker talks too fast - -it frustrates me - and I am a naturally slow talker.

So, do I break the video into two parts? Or cut out stuff that I think needs to be said? Meh!! I don't really know what to do. I think that people don't really like watching videos in two parts - -but then again, on my "build a cheap sewing or quilting table" I was playing around and made it in two parts and each one has about 7,000 views now. So maybe it's okay?

I was really hoping to get this all on one 10 minute video! I edited it hard (more than I wanted to) and still have 14 minutes. What do you think? Take more out or make it "part 1" and "part 2"? Oh, here's the quilt - isn't it wild? I just love it!

5 comments:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I love the quilt!!! It's amazing!!

As for the videos...If you need two, then do it. People can skip ahead if they need to, but for those who are very new at this and are too shy to take classes (now who could I be talking about....) the more information the better.

Laura said...

I agree with Amy, 2 part videos aren't bad, especially if the information is good. That said, another reason to have my own site. I love your quilt!

Marguerita McManus said...

Ok, it's not the greatest editing job but I am going to put a short version on YouTube and allow only you two to access it. Let me know if you think it is not enough info - - what happened is that I had to cut almost all of the quilting out in order to cover the tools, prep, etc. I am now going to re-edit for a longer version and see if that "flows" better. When I get that done, I'll let you both know. I'll email you each when I've got them uploaded (takes hours!!) ~ Thanks for your opinions!!! Marguerita

Unknown said...

lots of the videos are part one and part 2 for quilting tutorials particularly.
I really love that quilt. Wow 90" on the machine, good for you!

tessahjake said...

break it up into bpart 1 and 2 if you need it... :)